* Just back from a five week adventure in Albania. This is the hot destination! No tourists, sincerely sweet people, great food and libations, and spectacular scenery from the mountains to the sea.
* Just completed my next anthology Wild Life: Running Wolves, Charging Elephants, and Lusty Dolphins.
* Listen to my radio interview with Judith Briles on 5 components of the writers toolbox for author success in narrative nonfiction http://ow.ly/lzazp
* Teaching The Writer's Toolbox: Enhancing your narrative skills for fiction and nonfictio twice at Kalani on the Big Island of Hawaii January 11 & February 8.
* Won the 2013 Solas Awards bronze medal under "Animal Encounter" for Trumpets of Warning. Yes, it's about a charging elephant and a divorce...
* Great reviews in from Writer's Digest Book Awards and author Stewart Blackburn (see below).
* I write and I write. And it pays off. Two stories won the Mikel Essery Travel Writing Contest and are included in their anthology Mambo Poa.
* Won the Solas Awards gold medal for Most Unforgettable Character in Rada's Bloom.
* Rada's Bloom was also selected, along with The Blue Eye, for the Bay Area Travel Writers' anthology Travel Stories From Around the Globe. "Like the wild poppies in Lisa Alpine's moving story Rada's Bloom, may these tales take root in your garden, blossom and thrive."— Don George, Editor-at-Large, National Geographic Traveler
"Lisa Alpine’s book Exotic Life: Laughing Rivers, Dancing Drums, and Tangled Hearts is a sprawling anthology of 19 travel tales. Alpine is an inspiration to women travelers everywhere. She fearlessly wanders through one obscure destination after the other, leaving her complete trust in the experience. She answers that timeless question – Can solo women travelers really go there? – by doing just that and carrying away some wildly unique stories.
Hers are the type of spontaneous and quirky tales that vagabonders dream of when they muse on the possibilities of the open road. In true vagabonding spirit, her tales portray a woman with a no-frills approach to travel and a heavy investment in experience. You’ll find impassioned stories about far-flung destinations that can only come from an extended time on the road.
Alpine’s stories might not be to everyone’s tastes. She recounts her experiences with passion, shameless candor, and a huge amount of heart. There is no subject off-limits in her book. If you prefer the safety of clean careful narrative, with strict mindfulness to all Ps and Qs, this collection might be a bit much for you.
In addition to being a collection of travel stories, Exotic Life also explores the many trials and joys of Alpine’s personal life. Readers will not just come away with a host of tales from around the world, but with a vivid sense of the type of woman Alpine is. Her personality leaps from the pages."
20th Annual Writer’s Digest Annual Self-Published Book Awards review:
"Lisa's adventures have one flaw: they quit. I would love to see a thousand more episodes in exotic countries or places within those exotic countries. I think my favorite chapter was "Amazon Mom" because of its children and its Green Mansions atmosphere. When Lisa says, "So much water, so much growth . . . I wonder where they live of they can live there no longer" I feel myself transported to a time and place where children need someone for a time, and the Amazon is king.
Lisa's travels are more than exotic. They are wonderful reading. Her dance for her grandmother, naked except for a couple of scarves and a diamond necklace, was enchanting. She can come dance for me anytime.
I have to say this book stayed with me for a long time, and I loved the last three lines about Guadeloupe."
Order an autographed print copy from The Depot Bookstore and Cafe in Mill Valley, CA where signed copies are always available.
Find out why Lisa wanted to push that boyfriend out of the plane...
Lisa Alpine’s wonderful collection of stories, Exotic Life, is a delicious assortment of sensuous tales much like a box of different chocolates, each distinct and each equally rich and satisfying. There is a kind of erotic, in the grandest sense of the word, tension that fills each story. They aren’t all necessarily sexy or lusty, they are intimate visions into the soul of someone willing to live life fully and who is ready to savor each morsel of existence.
Her stories may make some yearn for a similar life of exotic people and places, but to me, she invites each one of us to explore, in great honesty, the desires and pleasures buried in our own hearts. Lisa models a view of life that is more open to our soul’s promptings than to the constraints of a timid society.
Hats off to Lisa for sharing her life and inspiring me to say, "Yes!” to whatever is presented to me. I heartily recommend these delightful stories to anyone who wants to touch the adventurer in their own soul. Stewart Blackburn (author The Skills of Pleasure)
I've read it while here in Spain! It was great! I loved it! Jocelyn Crockett
SUCH a fun read! There is so much in there I am going to read it again before I consider which was my favorite story etc., but it sure gave me the travel itch! Megan McKearney-Inciardi
Great book! Highly recommended - especially if you enjoy stories about travel around the world. Lion Goodman
Sign up for Lisa's quarterly newsletter stuffed with stories hot-off-the-press, writing and dance insights, workshops and sooooo much more.